Finished the game in 20 seconds, I guess. I still don’t understand what should have been done, but I think you made a cool bro lol...
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Have you ever wondered why the chicken crossed the road? I think we have finally found the answer! Make sure you ask all of the others so that they can help you figure it out...
- PC : Left and Right Arrow Keys
- Mobile: Swipe left and right to move, tap screen to advance dialog
----- Don't read further until you finish the game! -----
- Campesinos: Workers of the Land (art exhibition by Pajaro Valley Arts)
- UCSC Alumni Summer Game Jam #2 (Theme: "End where you started")
- Train by Brenda Romero
- Brenda was actually one professors at UCSC and I had a chance to play Train in person! It was a huge inspiration for the type of games I wish to create.
If this game made you feel some sort of way, I recommend making a donation to some of these great organizations below!
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Thank you for playing! Would you mind letting me know where you got stuck? I'm working on ways to better guide the player to follow the appropriate path that I intended, but I think I'm still missing a few pieces. I'll be uploading a new version with some tweaked dialog soon, but in the meantime, here is the path that I intended players to follow....(SPOILERS AHEAD)
- Step 1: As soon as the game starts, talk to Pollito (baby chick) on the top left part of the road (they're the closest character to the player when the game starts). They will tell you to say your goodbyes to everyone on that side of the road before you cross over.
- Step 2: When you talk to the Turtle they will count in Spanish to four, and tell you to be careful of the Cat. The goal with this instruction is that it will encourage the player to talk to the different numbers on the road, and save the cat for their last interaction when they finally get across to the other side.
- Step 3: When you finally cross the road, after reading the four "Why did the chicken cross the road?" jokes and think the game is just kinda senseless or silly, I want the first character that you talk to to be Pato and go up the line so the last character that you speak with is the Cat.
- Step 4: This is where the reveal happens and the Cat tells you (the chicken) that you don't belong on that side of the road. After the game's color palette changes, I want the player to retrace all of their steps, so that they end up where they started. This means talking to all the creatures, as well as the numbers in the road once again, which no longer have the same jokes in there anymore.
I hope this clears things up a bit! If you have any additional questions or suggestions, I'd love to hear you out! Thanks for playing!
I think if I understood correctly, then the player may not go on the right path. I think it might not be worth guiding him down the right path. It seems to me that most players do not read the lines, and some simply do not know how, because they are of a different nationality. My opinion is to give the player freedom of choice, not try to lead him (maybe this is a hint of multiple endings ...?). Good luck to you :)))
I recommend giving this a try! While you might think its basic in the beginning the focus of the game is not the numbers or jokes in the beginning but the dialogue with all the animals. TO get the full experience talk to the cat last.
Thank you for playing, and for including this tip for other players! I hope to tweak a bit of the dialog to better guide folks on their first play-through, so thank you!
An amazing game, funny and smart and a very interesting experience. A must play.